Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Old Age Comes to Starbucks


For the first time in my digital immigrant life, I am using WiFi at Starbucks. I am rarely alone when waiting for my next meeting because Brook and I call on clients together -- two heads are better than one: even our business cards are two headed -- one side with her info and the other side with mine. Saving trees, making a point, being "green." Will business cards ever be replaced with synching?


As it happens, Starbucks is all its brand is supposed to be -- about congregation -- however, it is about individual congregation. That is -- it is packed with people who are, for the most part ,by themselves. Computers connected to WiFi are everywhere -- perhaps they are all social networking, thereby congregating virtually. People are doing homework, office work, listening to music (not Starbucks, playing over the loudspeaker, but their own, plugged into their unlistening to others ears.


There is a din of people buzz, so I am exaggerating about virtual congregation -- but it won't be long before people sitting across the table from one another twitter their conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment